Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A few notes

Just a few notes.
This issue started with a growth on my neck, not sinus problems. Even after the ENT looked at the CAT scan an ultrasound he said I had bad sinuses but needed to deal with what he had called a growth or tumor on my parotid gland on the right side of my neck. He said from everything he saw it didn't look cancerous.
The place on my neck is still there and I'll need to see if it'll go down since my sinuses have been cleared and scraped. Yeah, yuck.
I've got a scar about a half inch long on the right side of my nose and one smaller than that from the surgery yesterday. I have to use a sinus wash a few times a day to keep my sinuses cleared.
At this point, I have not gone through any cancer treatment. Last week's surgery was to explore my sinuses (through my nose) and get tissue from the places that showed up on the CAT scan, which turned out to not be sufficient for a conclusive biopsy. Yesterday's surgery was to get more tissue for a biopsy and to wash out my sinuses. A friend had sinus surgery a while back and said in hindsight he wishes he would've taken two weeks off work instead of one. It really leaves you feeling horrible and drained for a while.
Still waiting for biopsy results that will tell if the surgeon's original diagnosis of 'probable lymphoma' holds true. Again, he said yesterday's frozen section came back not showing cancer.
I go back to work tomorrow for the first time in almost two weeks. When I went to the consult with the surgeon on Oct. 8 I had no idea all of this would follow. I thought the neck surgeon would either take a needle biopsy of the place on my neck or possibly schedule surgery. But he, as it turned out, got the sinus surgeon to check the scans, and it all started from there. The neck surgeon is a professor of medicine at UAB and the sinus surgeon is an associate professor. The anesthesiologist from yesterday is a professor as well.
Human Resources at my employer, Jack Henry and Associates, has been extremely helpful in the process of filing short term disability for the time I've been out. If you have short-term and/or long-term disability where you work, it couldn't hurt to at least know who to contact if you ever need to. 
Hopefully all that will fill in some blanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment