Monday, October 15, 2012

David Surrett - Health Matters

Hi all.
I figured creating this blog would be a good alternative to posting health updates to my Facebook wall. Whenever I have an update, I'll just make my status 'blog entry added' or something like that.
This all started about 2 months ago when I noticed a growth on the side of my neck that looked like a swollen gland. That's what my primary care doctor thought it was. When it didn't go down in 3 weeks he sent me to an ENT doctor, who happened to be on vacation for a week and a half. I finally got in the ENT's office and he ordered a CAT scan. He then recommended me to a neck surgeon, who saw the CAT scan and got a sinus surgeon to look at it. Both surgeons agreed they needed to focus on my sinuses, not my neck. I've never had any major sinus issues I'm aware of except allergies, hay fever, etc, but the ENT and both surgeons asked if I'd had sinus surgery. The sinus surgeon did surgery on my sinuses last Tuesday, October 9, and told my wife he'd found lymphoma. She told me early the next morning.
Folks from church have been great about bringing us food, so we've had once less thing to worry about.
The official biopsy was inconclusive since they somehow didn't get enough usable tissue. Apparently that's common, so now I have surgery again tomorrow morning. It shouldn't be as bad as the first one. The plans now are for me to go back to work this Thursday, and carry on until the biopsy comes back, and then the surgeon will recommend me to an oncologist. We don't know yet what stage anything is in, or any specific treatment plan.
I'll be careful about how much specific detail I put in the posts. Email me at dsurrett@yahoo.com with anything I don't cover in the blog.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be sending you positive, healing thoughts, David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I'm sorry to hear this; sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, David! :-( Thinking of you in the weeks and months ahead!

    ReplyDelete